On Wednesday, March 13, 2013, the school board met to discuss names for the new building. After some discussion, it was decided that the K-4 Expansion will be named Metcalf Elementary School.
This town site was the start to the Morenci area. Below is a little history about Metcalf.
If anyone has more history, please let Jennifer Morales (email@example.com) know.
In 1872, Jim and Bob Metcalf, soldiers from Silver City, New Mexico were seeking renegade Apaches. As they passed through the canyons of southeast Arizona, the Metcalf brothers noticed large, rich deposits in the walls. They continued on their journey; however, had a desire to revisit the area. Because of the remoteness and threat of attacks, returning would be a costly move. However, Bob Metcalf found an investment partner in Silver City and sought out the Longfellow claim. Miners from Mexico were recruited and the new enterprise, Longfellow Copper Mining Company was born. Over time, this settlement grew to a population of approximately 5,000 people. To meet the needs of the community, a grade school was built in 1913 followed by a high school in 1918. The schools remained in session until most of the community members relocated to “Old” Morenci. The town of Metcalf lasted until 1936. The high school stood until 1941 when it was sold to a scrap dealer for $1,000. The elementary school and town store were abandoned to eventually burn down in a fire. In the end, the town site was covered by the mine. It would have been located approximately north of the Horseshoe Curve. (Information from Arizona Memory Project - http://azmemory.azlibrary.gov/cdm/)